6.13.2006

no real rush

Assisi, Italy

I like Assisi a lot. So much so in fact that I changed my plans of doing a day trip to another small Italian hill town to stay here. There's no sense in me rushing things, despite the fact that time is passing quickly and soon enough I will be home.

I hiked 4.5 Km up the hill today to the place where St. Francis (of Assisi) used to go to get away. It was a welcome change to the crowded Basilica that bears his name, which I visited yesterday. Today was just me and the beautiful peace that can only be found in solitude in nature.

This week has been restful and a good turning point as I prepare to head home. I was looking through my photos on my camera last night (sorry due to super slow internet connections... you will only see them post-trip), which made me reflect on many of the things I have seen and done in the past month and a half. No wonder I am tired!

On top of that I met another young woman staying at the same place as me, and we went out for dinner together. Which you really cannot appreciate or understand unless you too for some reason go out for dinner by yourself alone on a regular basis in foreign countries. It proved to be an inspiring conversation as well.

Anyways, for those of you concerned (mom and dad) I am doing fine, but looking forward to sleeping the same bed for more than 4 nights in a row.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dana!
I just recently learned of your blog, and have appreciated being able to have such insightful and candid glimpses into your journey. What an adventure! Thanks for recording your experiences to share; it allows us to do surrogate traveling.
Grace for the journey.