6.09.2006

my golden ticket

Florence, Italy

Oh Florence.
I must admit I feel quite a bit like Charlie Bucket these days(from the infamous Charlie and the Choclate Factory). I feel as though I have been handed a candy bar, ripped it open on to discover my very own GOLDEN TICKET.

I knew florence was charming; I'd heard personal testimonies, seen photos, watched videos, but really it is still blowing me away in ways I cannot really describe in words. In fact, I bought a sketch book yesterday (finally!!!) and made a rule that I have to sketch more than I write while I am here. This has been a great challenge and resulted in pages and pages of doodles that will make people think I am manic.

The Duomo (one of the many Renaissance cathedrals) is one of the most surreal buildings I have ever stood in front of! Wow. It is breathtaking just to look at, but the fact that it is the first dome ever built of its size, is astounding. Tomorrow I intend to get up early, beat the crowd, and climb the 463 stairs inside to the top, for a great view of Florence.

and one more brag item... I met David today. The David that Mr. Michelangelo somehow freed from a block of marble, and like the rest of Florence, he was also quite impressive. I am enjoying this crash course in Art History and European culture... and to think I don't have any assignments looming over my head makes it that much more enjoyable.

Until next time... thanks for reading.

1 comment:

kathleen marie said...

Hey you!
Oh, I love that you're in Italy right now...I remember they day I met David. I was 11 years old...and it was fascinating.

Anyways, ok...about the pics. Here's what I know. I'm assuming that you're able to download pics into your computer. After doing that, when you "create" a post, simply press on the "photo" icon above where you would enter text (next to the ABC thing). A window will pop up, and you want to press on "browse"...it will be next to a blank space where you can enter the "address" of the photo (top left corner of the box). There are also other options...bottom left/middle asks what format you want, and bottom right/middle asks what size you want the picture to be. You can add a number of photos at once, just press on "add another photo" above where you enter the address...and then finish with the blue button (it says upload image). Hopefully this is all the same as what you'll be looking at...I think it will :)

If you have any problems, just let me know, but I think this should get you what you want :)

Miss you, my friend...hope you continue to revel in it all :)