6.01.2006

born again

If you have ever run long distance or been a post secondary student you will understand what I mean by "hitting the wall". For a runner it is the point of sheer exhaustion where the body screams for rest and somehow the mind pushes through, for a student it is the 6 week mark when the panic strikes and it seems nearly impossible to finish assignments. Well, I have hit the wall in the travelling world.

Today was the first time in weeks that I woke up feeling rested. The first thought on my mind was not one of planning how and when I would next arrive at a train station to depart. I am not big on moving around a lot, and I have done nothing but that for the past month. I have been in almost every major European city and seen more sites than I can count or aptly describe. On top of that the introvert in me really needs some space, in order to be revived.

I had a slight turning point a couple nights ago. After spending a cloudy rainy day in Venice, Italy with some friends from BC who also happened to be there at that point in time, I felt better, but still tired. Then we went to a string concert in a an amazing cathedral and it brought life to me. It made me realize how over-stimulated I have been visually speaking. I sat through the whole concert with my eyes closed and I could feel it waking me up from the inside out. It was what I needed to get through that day. Now the challenge remains for me to find what it is I need to get through today, and then do the same tomorrow. In a sense I think we all have to go through a process of being reborn day after day in order to appreciate the beauty of the gift of life.

No comments: