3.11.2006

My Centre

I slept in this morning for the first time in quite some time. Usually I get up at 5:00 for work, so it was a much needed break. I stayed up as late as I could last night, until my eyes were burning, simply because I could. This morning I woke up with sun streaming into my room and tossed and turned until 11:00, which is rare for me. The only thing is, I woke up with a beast of a headache, which I attribute to having entirely too many pillows on my bed. A good omlette breakfast and a cup of strong coffee have not medicated it, so I may go back to bed. But then again, it's far too nice outside so perhaps I'll take the dogs for a walk, yeah that's what I'll do.

I'm currently reading a book written by Henri Nouwen during one of the most difficult periods of his life. I've been reading it for about 3 weeks now, and am only on page eleven. It's not that it's a difficult read, rather it's so rich that I don't want it to end. It reminds me of when I was sick as a child and my mom or dad would sit beside me on my bed and rub my back, and just hold me. Nouwen's words reflect the grace and gentle voice of a loving God. The book is called The Inner Voice of Love, and today I leave you with words from it:

"Do not tell everyone your story. You will only end up feeling more rejected. People cannot give you what you long for in your heart. The more you expect from people's response to your experience of abandonment the more you will feel exposed to ridicule.
You have to close yourself to the outside world so you can enter your own heart and the heart of God through your pain. God will send to you the people with whom you can share your anguish, who can lead you closer to the true source of love."


As I write this my brother started playing piano in the background. I requested quiet songs and he is currently fumbling through Jesus Be The Centre. May that also be my prayer for the day, that you dear Jesus would be my guide, and my light, my path and my Jesus.

No comments: