Today was kind of a "junk drawer day". The kind of day when you pick up loose ends that you've been tossing into a "junk drawer" for far too long. It involved a great deal of driving from one stop to the next, and was tiring to say the least. But I did get a fair bit done.
The last item on my list was to pick up some specialty ice cream for a birthday dinner we're having for my brother and his fiance tomorrow. Although I grew up in this area, things have changed in the past five years since I've been gone (shocking, I know!), and I often get lost or forget how to connect point "A" to point "B". All that to say, I knew there was a M&M store somewhere close by that sold this famed ice cream, but I couldn't think where.
So I did the smart thing and stopped to look the address up in the phone book. At about the same time it began to rain as I was driving around in cirlces in the crowded parking lot. I should also say I was growing increasingly frustrated and tired as I just wanted to be home. As I signalled to pull into the only spot I could find that was big enough to park the Pick-up truck I was driving, another car pulled through two spaces without signaling to get the perfect "drive-thru space" leaving me to hunt down another spot.
Funny thing about phone books, they are not helpful in the least if you are unable to recognize street names in terms of location and proximity to where you are.
I finally found the address of the store location that I was most familiar with, which was about 10 minutes away (not very close) but I felt confident I could find it.
I arrived without a hitch. I walked into the store, which was tiny, found the ice cream aisle, picked up the ice cream and as I did so I looked up only to find twenty people in line ahead of me at the lone cash register. I thought it was some sort of special sale of sorts... but no, one of the employees informed me "it's like this every saturday, it's a bad day to come shopping here". Thanks for the heads up! As I stood there waiting for the line to dwindle the same employee asked me if there was anything else she could get for me, I told her I had all I was looking for, and she laughed. It was then that I noticed that everyone else in line had at least four boxes of frozen food of some kind stacked up on the counter, and there I was with my little tub of ice cream.
Finally as I neared the checkout counter I notice a flyer sitting there, and on the bottom corner was a list of all the store locations and maps of where to find them. It turns out there was a store a block away from the parking lot where I stopped to get directions early, I had no choice but to laugh.
Paying for the Ice Cream, I walk out and headed for home.
It is only now as I finish writing the events of my afternoon that I remembered that my brother gave up chocolate for lent. What does this have to do with anything? The flavour of ice cream I worked so hard to get today... is none other than Chocolate Rush... sorry Drew I owe you big time.
No comments:
Post a Comment