There's something about this place, this country, this nation that is almost haunting. It is a place bursting with beauty, yet so evidently accompanied by brokenness. The eerie remains of an all to recent history of a time of deliberate racial segregation, called Apartheid, are hard to miss. I hope that I don't get used to the grossly unjust juxtoposition between the informal settlements (or more accurately squatter's camps) that line the sides of the paved major highways that link one major city to another, or one grand mall to another. South Africa truly is a land of great extremes. In the photo above our group waits for a tour of Kliptown, one of the poorest residential areas of SOWETO. On the sign above our heads is a question on the minds of all the residents as South Africa prepares to be the host of the 2010 FIFA World Cup... "Will Kliptown have shacks in 2010?"
These young girls (left) performed a dance for us one afternoon that left us all speechless. They are from Kliptown. Below is a picture of the new Constitution Court entrance that is written in all 11 of the Official South African languages.

The history of this country both fascinates and appalls me. Here is a lock on a jail cell that kept political prisoners just over a decade ago, the living conditions of the day make me squirm.
Zandspruit is one of the countless "Informal Settlements" common in this country. Some are advanced enough to provide such luxuries as running water and electricity. Not to minimize the inhumanity of the situation, I was blown away at the resourcefulness demonstrated by humanity as they take pride in their homes, even if that home is made of tin and plywood.
I was once told that "Africa is not for sissies" and I believe it, I have met people of unshakable character that have inspired me and reminded me what it means to be human, to love and be loved despite whatever storm is going on outside.
2 comments:
wow Dana...this is awesome! I'm so excited for you (and a little jealous :)) Praying for you!
Hi Dana,
Your Mom gave me your BLOG info and I'm enjoying following your trip. I was in South Africa last fall. It is indeed a country of extremes but one amazing place. If you get a chance, visit the Apartheid museum in Jo-burg. Very moving! Enjoy your trip.
Your neighbour, Pat
Post a Comment