2.15.2007

another day on the road-show circuit

Cape Town, South Africa



With only one day away from the completion of the “Drug-awareness-Road-Show” I think it’s safe to share my sense of accomplishment and pride for the way things went.

It was a nerve racking time for many, as we had some of our students sharing their own powerful personal history (often not-so-distant) of drug use and addiction, we had other students involved with a powerful Drime (drama/mime to music) presentation that continues to give me shivers each and every time I see it, other students were involved ushering the high school students into the venues, others served as hosts… the list goes on… it was a great experience to see our group so willing to be involved in something we were so skeptical about to begin with (maybe it was just me who was skeptical?).

I think one thing that made me realize the value of it was a comment one of my co-leaders came back with. In conversation with a local at the gym, he learned that drugs is the biggest problem in this area, and there is little being done about it. Maybe then, just maybe we have been able to contribute to an area of great need. And that for me makes it worth the effort, and makes me pray that God will take what little we had to offer and use it for the good of his Kingdom work here on earth.


As I sat back and watched them perform the Drime yesterday I found myself becoming a bit maternal about them as "my kids" were blowing me away with their talents and gifts, and so thankful they have had this chance to use them. This, for me, was yet another moment when I found myself relishing in the honour it is to have this job, to be interacting with young men and women in a meaningful way, for which I thank God.

1 comment:

Sandra Plett said...

Hey Dana,
So cool to hear how God is using you guys to reach an area of deep need. I love the "maternal feelings" of pride you are experiencing...and I can totally relate:)