2.19.2007

Beaches, Braais, and Blayne

Stellenbosch, South Africa

After another week of South African life I'm enjoying another day off.

Last week was jam-packed with apres-"Road-show" visits to the infamous Muizenburg beach, which our students didn't seem to mind (nor did the leaders), where I tried to surf for the first (and hopefully not last) time in my life.

Then in the grand tradition of South African host families spoiling us rotten we had yet another Braai (aka BBQ) on Friday night. It turned into a bit of a competition/battle of the sexes as Johnny and Jason were given the task to preparing the meat, while Anita and I made salads, and of course the worlds biggest batch of koeksisters, which are Donuts coated in coconut, and are quite a hit around here. After about a four hour prep period the feast was ready and both teams did amazingly well and we deemed it a "tie"! But really we were all winners because we got to eat the food!!!

We've moved again to a quiet residential area where we're staying this week. It's surrounded by rolling hills, which are the home to many local vineyards, not to mention the view of the nearby mountain range. We have a special guest here with us this week, none other than the infamous Blayne Greiner who flew in last night from Seattle, Washington. He will be here to hang out with the group, encourage/teach/mentor/chill with the students and provide support for us as staff. Blayne has become a good friend of mine over the years and our paths continue to cross and I'm thankful for his input into my life. Blayne and his wife Betty have hosted me in their home a number of times and thus I have deemed them my "west-coast-parents". All in all it should be an awesome week.

We're taking the students on a wine tour on Friday morning... which could easily be a disaster... needless to say breakfast will be mandatory that day!!!




...and here's what Braais are all about...

1 comment:

Sabrina Wiens said...

Hey Dana!
I'm so glad that Blayne is out there with you guys now. Its must be a huge blessing to have his support and heck, he's just a fun guy to have around. I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you guys and know that I'm praying for you.
Love you loads, Bean