Strandfontein, South Africa
After still recovering from a binge outdoor craft market shopping extravaganza yesterday, I wish I would have brought my camera to take pictures of it. Rows upon rows of colourful paintings, bead work, wood sculptures, stone carvings, all brought to life and by the beat of the African drum. It was a great experience and I picked up some good stuff for my family back home (sorry but you may have to wait until Christmas). I always try to gear myself up to barter well, and I think I do well, only to compare prices with my friends and realize I am really a poor barterer and a sucker. But hey, as an artist I should be willing to pay for art right...? (nice try sucker).
Then today we spent an exhausting 4 hours planning a 45 minute "drug-awareness" presentation that we will be presenting for 4 different high schools this week as part of a "drug-awareness road show". Despite the fact that it may sound well organized, it's not. We arrived this morning to find out that "training" day was really only a day for us to make up some sort of program that would allow us to convey some sort of positive message without humiliating ourselves too much (with emphasis on the latter).
Due to the sheer talent of our students we have a rad program organized featuring: some singing, a drum routine/skit, a drime (drama/mime choreographed to music), and some powerful personal stories! I'm once again proud of the team, and find myself missing the simple luxuries of home... like organizational skills.
But for now, I am excited to return home to our new host family who are catering to us in their guest house with fine hospitality and meals that are worth writing home about.
1 comment:
Dana, I want you to know that your barterer skills are amazing...don't let anyone tell you anything else! I miss you! I can't believe I missed your call. I hope we can talk soon.
Love ya! K-Dawg
Post a Comment