7.25.2006

reflections from "drew and amy day"

On Saturday July 22, 2006 Andrew (my not-so-little-anymore brother) and Amy (my new-sister-through-marriage) were wed.
Now for some highlights from the day:

-outdoor weddings are a risk
-watching dark rain clouds blow by overhead without washing all the guests is a good thing. It’s even better when it holds off until the photos have been taken and the reception is well under way under the cover of a tent, only to create a rainbow in the sky.
-high energy photographers make the often long and drawn out photo taking process far more enjoyable. Laughing wedding parties make for better pictures too (none of this pasted on smile business).
-in case boredom sets in it’s always comical sitting back and watching a couple farm-girl-turned-city-slicker cousins try their best to walk in pointed heels on a wet lawn
-healthy green lawn plus brightly coloured potted flower plants plus genius designer Aunt make one spectacular setting for a wedding
-two hundred white folding chairs in one’s backyard make it hard to believe it’s your backyard
-watching your brother and his new wife as they are interrupted from their meal to play the kissing game is a wee bit surreal
-finally getting to tell the stories that have been piling up in the “embarrassing wedding story file” for years is a satisfying feeling.
-Cloudy days make for better wedding pictures
-walking down the aisle to find my little brother looking sharp in a tux (not to mention far more grown up than I often give him credit for) was enough to bring happy tears to my eyes (which many people pointed out to me later, making me feel as though crying at weddings is a thing of the past… my bad)
-Sitting in a room surrounded by wedding gifts while the newlyweds are off honeymooning some surprise destination is one of the greatest temptations and tests of will power, self discipline and integrity I have yet to endure… and on that note I have to get out of this room before I “accidentally” open that gift bag beside me with the bright blue tissue paper, and the bow, and the card… and it looks like a….. ah must be strong.

All in all I’d have to say the day was a successful beginning to a marriage I hope and pray will be even more success filled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dana- I discovered your blog while at Brad & Michelle's a while back and have enjoyed reading of your adventures! I'm glad you had a wonderful time at your brother's wedding - I went to one this Saturday as well-no rain, just record breaking temperatures!