Looking at the calendar makes me realize that August is on the horizon, which means that I have been home for a month, which means that summer is flying by, which means that.... okay Breathe in Dana... Breathe out, and relax.
I feel I have been putting off the publication of this particular blog-worthy material for quite a while now. Without any further ado, my big announcement (no I'm not getting married, which will now likely make the following entry seem a) boring to the wedding lovers of you OR b) like a relief to those of you who are triple booked every weekend for the next three years and have maxed out your credit cards at popular wedding registry places such as the Bay and Home Outfitters).
My big announcement is that I will be starting a new job in less than a month's time. Here are some of the facts
The official title: Site Leader for Canadian Mennonite University's Outtatown Discipleship School.
Business card sized title: Outtatown Site Leader
Length of Employment: Two Eight-Month stints beginning in August 2006, with the summer off (May –August 2007).
Job Description: Spend eight months as one of four leaders mentoring, living and traveling with a group of 38 students ages 18-24.
Semester One: Our settings vary from Outdoor Adventures (canoe tripping, hiking, skiing/snowboarding), Inner City Exposure (Winnipeg and the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver), as we live out of backpacks at Camps, in church basements, in crowded fifteen passenger van, the homes of group members, five star hotels and anything in between. School takes place in many forms and learning loses its boundaries, as the classroom becomes life experiences based. To supplement that we will have the rich privilege of hearing from speakers on a weekly basis, who will speak on a diverse range of subjects within their expertise, generally relating to the Christian Faith and Faith Development.
Semester Two: We will travel to South Africa for four months where we will be involved in study of "Conflict Resolution" and "International Development" modular courses. During our time abroad we will also visit Kruger National Park, several orphanages, and be exposed to the heartbreaking reality of a country being inhumanely affected by the HIV/AIDS pandemic. All the while growing up and learning what it means to live in close quarters with people we may not otherwise choose to associate with.
It will be an intense year of life. I am excited with a hint of nervousness, but excited nonetheless. I guess I’m still “recovering” from Europe so the thought of living out of a backpack for another period of time is not really all that appealing. I have come to realize that it’s more than just about the number of people under my care, but the people who will colour my life, and surround me.
As an alumni (2001-02) of this program I highly believe in the approach and foundation presented by the experiences Outtatown provides. I'm honoured to be returning, yet I do so rather sheepishly as I enter a position of caring for young adults during what can become one of the most formative periods of life. I do not take this task lightly. I cannot do it on my own strength, and would be foolish to attempt to. I will be surrounded by three other leaders, supported by a network of friends, family and co-workers, and inspired by a God who I trust will give me enough courage to get through struggles, enough humility to ask for help, enough humanity to rest, and enough vision to be able to both look ahead with faith and look back in reflection of what he has done and how he has healed the hearts of those in need of mending.
After having finally written about this, I feel I’ve taken a step towards being ready. I’d be foolish to think there is anything (besides prayer and rest) that can better equip me in the next three weeks than to relax and be willing to be used by God and to draw from the sources of wisdom and life experience I have spent 23 years gathering. After all it’s an amazing opportunity and I look forward to it immensely.
www.outtatown.com(For more info, or to keep track of me throughout the year check out the website)
1 comment:
Hey Dana! I'm soooo super-excited for you! After all these years of hearing your passion for SOAR, and your dreams of working with them...I love seeing it all come together. You will be such a great leader, and I look forward to hearing how God will use you, and also stretch you!
Post a Comment