4.07.2006

long overdue

Well it's been quite some time since I last engaged in the art of blogging. I suppose I should begin by means of an update... I've had a great week all in all, consider yourself updated.
More details would reveal that the date of my departure (a: to BC, b: to Europe)is drawing dangerously near, which means I've been experiencing a heightened sense of anxiety. See as I grow excited I often mistake that for anxiety, all that to say it's been a week where I haven't slept as much as I'd like to, or need to be sleeping. With that in mind it's been an interesting week.

My knee is bugging me again. Something about playing volleyball at church on a cement floor with a thin layer of carpet not only screams "rug-burn", but worse "sore knee". Swallowing my pride, along with a great deal of advil, I scheduled an appointment to see the physiotherapist this coming weds. Giving me a glimmer of hope on the road to being able to be active again.

I discovered that you can buy something online and have it show up at your house before it shows up on your credit card bill.... hmmm I see how people get in debt with online shopping.

Probably the scariest thing I did lately, aside from ordering something online, was taking a step towards selling some of my art. Aside from a painting I co-painted for a class a couple years ago I have never sold any art. Not that I'm opposed to the idea, rather opportunity had not yet knocked. Well, I feel as though it may be knocking and I'm standing on my tip toes peering through the peephole trying to decide wheter I should open the door or not.

I crafted a magazine/book for another class a year and a half ago, and it went over quite well with the proff. In fact he's been badgering me ever since to get a copy. The problem being... it was a one shot deal. Or so I thought, forgetting I live in the digital era. I had a friend of mine scan the images for me, and took them to a print shop. Entering with much fear and trembling due to my complete ignorance in the lingo and process of printing, I made the first step, flirting with the possibilty of printing some of my work.

Well that was a week ago, and now I've decided I'm going to do it. With the help of my parents who will chip in for part of my grad present, I will have 25 copies of this booklet made. It's exciting, but also opens up a whole series of questions, and insecurities as it leaves others with a clear insight into my mind, my life, my love and my art...AHHH! Not to mention the issue regarding the price tag I put on it. I am not try to get rich here, but even to cover my costs it will be pricey. I want people who buy it to really want to buy it, to support me, to invest in a peace of unconventional art, not something they will read once and then use to line the bottom of the hampster's cage a week later.
This creation of mine did not appear overnight. It's orignal work, thoughts and images that I am sharing with others, an extension of myself and my relationship to and with the world I live in, how do I put a price on that? How does anyone put a price on art? I'm often saddened that we live in a culture that has a skewed appreciation for art.

(Insert shamless marketing plug) Now that I've been about as vague as I can be... if you're interested and want more information let me know... hell I'll devote an entire blog entry to a description of what you could buy for the low price of just....(insert price here) plus shipping.

Anyways, I'm procrastinating right now as I'm taking my time proof reading and editing my blog (ignore the mistakes), sipping my tea that tastes like what flowers smell like, and waiting for some more friends to pop up on messenger so I can be distracted. I am preaching in church again on sunday, and my sermon is... well a few rough notes. It's friday night, and I'm tired and I have to get up in six and a half hours.... ah. I thought this feeling would end with school. Nope. The only thing is, with school I could stay up all night working on a paper turn it in the next day and it didn't matter if I looked like I had just been through a food processor. However, this is a might bit different, as I actually have to be awake enough to deliver this sermon... and I am not good at faking that I've slept when I have not in fact done so.

On that note, let the games begin.
Happy Trails, and happy Palm sunday

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

hey you should maybe check out http://www.lulu.com/, it's a site for 'free' self publishing, with no minimum number to order... http://www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fID=1713 has a FAQ. not sure if you are already aware of this site or not, or if you have a similar place in mind for publishing, but i've been told their printed results are impressive and there's no initial investment by you, from what i can tell. not sure if it keeps the cost down much or what... but worth checking out.