4.10.2006

(disclaimer: i don't enjoy trendy things, i generally wait until after the dust of any new trend settles before i hop on board... with that said...)

Last night I finally finished reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (the fifth and thickest one so far). It took me almost a month, which is shameful considering most eight year olds would finish it in a week or two weeks tops. Nonetheless, there were a number of times when the things that Harry (who I could easily have a crush on if he was about 8 years older and not a fictional character) was experiencing was similar to what was happening in my own life. I understand why children of all ages love these books... they very relational. Anyways, here's a quote I found a couple weeks ago.

Allow me to set the scene. Harry's back at school for the fifth year and things have not been going well for him. His two best friends got picked, over him, for a special role at school, he made a mess of things with the girl he really liked, and the headmaster of the school, who was like a father figure to him, barely even notices him anymore. All that to say Harry is feeling left out, alone and confused. This is what a retired headmaster had to say to Harry...

"you know this is why I loathed being a teacher! Young people are so infernally convinced they are absolutely right about everything. Has it not occured to you, my poor-puffed-up popinjay that there might be an excellent reason why the Headmaster of Hogwarts is not confiding every tiny detail of his plans to you? Have you never pause, while feeling hard-done-by, to note that following His orders has never yet lead you into harm?" (438)

Hmm, both Harry and I swallowed our pride after that one, I guess we're both learning a lot about life.

No comments: