Post Cards of Europe.
In the interest of sparing my few but faithful readers the painful play by play details of my life abroad for the next two months... I'm going to attempt to provide snapshots, post cards if you will.
A Wee Trip to Scotland
ahh... Scotland. She welcomed me in yesterday as I flew over the highlands just as the sun was rising. Now that's a moment worthy of a photo. I was told to expect cold, wet and dreary, well it's been sunny and warm with the exception of manic rain yesterday afternoon.
Glasgow was amazing. I strolled around half lost all day yesterday and this morning and couldn't help my jaw from dropping at the juxtapositions that lie therein. (Eg. Starbucks in a building that looks like a castle, which I refuse to step into... I'm in Europe, not Seattle!). It felt like a combination of cities I’ve been to previously, like Montreal, meets Vancouver, meets Antigua Guatemala. I half expected to run into someone I knew there, which is unlikely despite such being a regular occurrence for me.
I got to see Salvador Dali's Christ of Saint John of the Cross, a painting that ties in well with the recent Easter festivities.
Today I took the bus to a small port town called Oban. I sat beside a cute retired woman for the journey, and through a series of questions found out she's travelled most of the globe in the past six years since her husband passed away. She was quite content to be my tour guide for the 3 hour trip, and I welcomed the highlights she offered me. I love "stumbling" into situations like that.
I'm staying with a family in Oban, thanks to the connections of two brilliant Profs of mine. Their home was once a B&B and has a gorgeous view of the Islands that jut out into the bay.
Tomorrow I'm off to Iona, and both the weather and my host family are forecasting a great week.
No comments:
Post a Comment