1.01.2007

A Year to Remember

New Hamburg, ON

The closest I will get to making New Year’s resolutions this year is to take some time to review this past year and some of the key things that came with it.

January marked the beginning of year of many transitions. Upon returning to Abbotsford, BC for the wedding of a dear friend I found myself feeling like a visitor in a place I thought would become my home. This was largely marked by the fact that I had finished my Columbia Bible College career, and had decided to move home to work and live with my parents in Ontario.
The winter was one I only hope to repeat at some point in my life. Moving home was a gift to me on many levels. It was a chance to get to know my parents again as an adult, and as I worked closely with both of them I grew in my respect for what they do and who they are. Working on our farm meant early mornings, which were made easier by early nights. I made time for things I had not had the opportunity to in the past, like reading books for fun (instead of for school), catching up on movies I had wanted to see for a long time, and just soaking in my home life. In many ways it was a season of rest. It was also a season of grieving as I missed my community and life in BC and felt the void of the friends I had moved away from. The end of January marked one year since Jaclyn, my beloved friend, passed away. In some ways I felt alone throughout the winter, but it was also a time for me to grow in the understanding of what it means to be an introvert, and nurture what I really needed for the life I wanted to be living.
Winter also marked the birth of this blog, a discipline which I am glad to be able to share with others. A new passion was also birthed within me as I began to read about Africa and the current state this largely misunderstood continent finds itself in. I began to care about HIV/AIDS and poverty in a way I had never stopped to consider before.
Then after what seemed like a long winter the snow melted and spring’s new life replaced what winter had taken. I returned to BC for a week, accompanied by my mom, to make my college graduation official. It was there that I received an award for academic excellence, and came to the realization that my time there was in fact, without a doubt, over. It was bittersweet, returning to seem people who had played such crucial roles in shaping and molding me over the three and a half years I spent there, yet knowing I may never see many of them again, or at least to a different degree.
Four days after walking across the stage, the completion of one dream, I boarded a plane to commence another. I had long dreamt of walking the streets of Europe eating up as much as I could. After countless hours pouring over guidebooks in the winter, I found myself living my dream. 65 days and a backpack, joined by my sister, and my friend Stephanie, I was in Europe! I had romantic notions of it, some were met, some were not, some were surpassed. It was a long trip and I saw much, and was blown away time and time again. Although I unpacked my backpack from that trip days after returning, the unpacking of the experience itself is only just beginning. Italian cappuccino’s, French streets, British castles, and the art… these are things that have found there way inside me, and someday I will know what to do with them. My trip to Europe also marked the completion of a life-long goal of visiting 15 countries at some point during my life… I currently sit at 16 and will soon add two more to that tally (Germany and South Africa).
Upon returning from Europe I was propelled into the preparation and excitement of my younger brother’s wedding which took place at our farm. Drew and Amy were married on July 22, and it was a beautiful day in every way possible.
The remainder of the summer flew by for me, and I felt out of place. Things were different inside me, and I suppose I expected the rest of the previous winter to return, which it did not. I soon began the countdown to the time when I would again leave home as I was beginning a new job in the fall.
In many ways my job with Outtatown was a dream too. Ever since having participated in the program five years earlier I decided that I would love to return as a group leader some day. And so it was that I found myself preparing for an adventure I will never forget, and the opportunity to travel accross western Canada and soon enough to South Africa (which came more as a confirmation to my newly directed obsession with Africa rather than shocking me).
Working with a traveling Bible College Program, has taught me things about myself that I thought I knew, but really didn’t know. I have learned much about my need for solitude, my need to be creative, and many other things. The fall was not without challenge, but was rich and full of moments of a life that I am proud to call my own. I also had the opportunity to revisit many friends across Canada, often at times when I really needed to be known and loved.
A monumental aspect of my fall came with the news that my uncle Pat had suffered from a heart attack and passed away. He was someone I respected more than I knew, a mentor and friend to my Dad, and a well-loved member of our family. In trying to wrap my head around what this meant, I often thought of the old adage “home is where the heart is”. I disagree, I think for me it was more like “home is where you want to be when you are broken and hurt and where you know there are people who care and understand”, I guess that was wear my heart was. I was not able to get home, on many levels, so I postponed my grief. This also coincided with the beginning of advent, the coming of Christ at Christmas, which I made a point of paying attention to and thinking about this year.
I returned home at Christmas time to my family and was finally able to grieve and mourn my uncle’s death as I needed to. Home once again became a refuge and a place where God met me and restored me. A time when I could find the many blessings in my life. Again as I reflect I am blown away by the people I know, they’re great.
I should also highlight my love for my church. After returning for the winter at home, I was able to offer myself to serve wherever needed in our small congregation. Doors opened and I was involved in many areas including worship committee and I have had opportunity to preach five times since last year at this time (which is quite something, considering I’ve been gone for seven months of the year).
As I look back on this past year it has been one of transition. It has been good in so many ways. I have learned much and grown much. I have had the privilege of traveling and seeing new parts of this world we live in. As 2006 comes to a close, I look forward to this next year and pray that God will continue to guide me and challenge me as I learn and live. There is really no sense in me denying that my life is good, and I thank you all for being a part of it.

Happy New Year!

No comments: