Pretoria, Guatang, South Africa
If you could see me now you’d see one relaxed Dana, after a memorable day off filled with sleeping in, reading The Count of Monte Cristo (600 pages to go by the end of April…!), and relaxing by the pool, trying to gradually brown my blindingly-white skin, not to mention an attempt to play tennis which really only served as a reminder of the numerous reasons why I quit the tennis team in high school.
Tomorrow marks the one week mark of our time here in South Africa. After spending the first two days dragging our jet-legged bodies around our group has adjusted amazingly well. I’m convinced the students are rock stars and are willing and able to adjust and adapt to anything we throw at them. They’ve taken on lots of responsibility and initiative and have blown us away as leaders!
Anita (my co-worker and friend) and I are staying at the beautiful home of Hannes and Anne (which I’ll point out is not only the same name, but also spelling as my own dear mother’s name), and we’ve been spoiled. Every night we sit down to a lovely dinner, which we drag out for several hours as we compare notes on just about anything under the sun. Tomorrow night they will throw a braai (pronounced “bry) for us, which simply put is a BBQ, with at least three kinds of meats, salads, and lots of good stuff… something to look forward to.
It’s been a gradual transition to say the least. Our hosts speak perfect English, so conversation is effortless, and Hannes has one of the wittiest personalities and has a way of teasing us at every chance possible. They’ve also taken the liberty of educating us in the ways of South African red wines accompanied by great conversation. I should also add that they are impressed to meet a “foreigner”, as they so bluntly call me, who actually drinks Rooibos tea, (which by the way comes from the Afrikaner words for Red Bush, as that’s where it comes from).
The week has been full of a variety of experiences from History classes on this beautifully complex nation, visits to museums, quick stops at some day care centres (long enough to tire the children out before their afternoon nap time), and exposure to a number of local ministries who are doing phenomenal work to meet some of the many needs in this city. It feels more like I’m in Europe than Africa at the moment… which feels strange. That however will change next week as we head to SOWETO one of the largest black townships of South Africa, an experience that I look forward to with equal parts excitement and nervous fear.
For the time being, I am thoroughly enjoying myself and am safe, sound and spoiled.
2 comments:
Sounds like you're living the dream :) Good to hear from you! Hey...I totally would have thought that Count of Monte Cristo would have been a well-read book for you? Worn covers, bent pages...is this your first read?
haha, thanks Kathleen...
as for the count... This is my first and a half time... I gave up some 600 pages in (who does that???)... and am glad to have made the recommitment
Post a Comment