Winnipeg, MB
Yesterday our group helped out at a pretty cool place called Siloam. It could be classified as a "soup kitchen" but had such a different feel than any other place like it. It was a very encouraging place filled with people who have devoted their lives to helping the poor in the city. Unfortunately a large portion of this population of human beings that live in poverty in Winnipeg are Native Canadian. It's pretty gross actually the way that some human beings are treated by other human beings and think it's okay. But this place was different. It felt safe and welcoming.
I worked beside a woman named Virginia Miracle yesterday, cracking 120 dozen eggs that they used for breakfast this morning. We had a good chat as we worked (and as I desperately tried to fish tiny bits of shell out of my pail of eggs...oops). She volunteers a couple times a month and was proud to tell me she thought this was a great place. In fact, she described it as a place that Jesus would be pleased with. I thought that was a beautiful way of describing it, and that's the image I'm left with, a pleased Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment