10.31.2007

happy halloween

Victoria, BC
Tonight, in a last minute attempt at planning a fun-filled evening for my small group meeting, I frantically asked the hotel staff if there were any fun Halloween events happening in the city. After piling into the van the group headed off to the home of the Lieutenant Governor of BC. I was told there was a nice display of pumpkins and festive decorations, which was a major drawing point for the evening. We arrived only to find a small display of pumpkins but the opportunity to meet the Lieutenant Governor himself. After posing for a picture with him, and a small treat bag of tasty caramel corn we headed on our way. I was concerned this may have been a lame attempt at being cool on my part, but my group assured me it was "AWESOME" and they were so excited, despite not really knowing who the lieutenant governor was and what he does (although they did know that his title is pronounced "left-tenant"... thank you Canada!). Funny times!
The next portion of the evening consisted of us counting the number of Jack-o-Lanterns we could see from the van while driving down the street. Our goal was 100, which was lofty to say the least. Then we came across a sign that read "PUMPKIN YARD AHEAD", we followed it and found, what was essentially, a Jack-O-Lantern Museum with at least 100 creatively carved pumpkins! Again, this was not something I planned, but something that my group absolutely loved!
It was a really fun night, it was cool that we ran into fun things to do, I love trying to be creative and spontaneous, because I'm not very good at the latter. I love to have plans and to see them through. Lately I think I have come to realize that no matter how polished my plans may be I need to hold them loosely. I need to hold my belongings, my time and my dreams close enough that they are my own, yet loosely enough that I can let go of them if I need to.
It's been a busy, stressful and tiring week but these are some of the things that I have learned as of late. Had I written this post earlier today it would have been more depressing, more tired, and more angry. But tonight after a series of Halloween adventures I am feeling more alive and well than I have in a while. And that's the note I want to end on.

1 comment:

The Domestic Wife Not Mad said...

It sounds like it turned out great, I would have enjoyed it for sure!