Well folks yesterday was my 25th birthday and it was a great day. Some of the guys in my group decided to blind-fold me and give me a surprise birthday gift… sounded fishy to me. They took me to the edge of the dock and pretended to throw me overboard by throwing a bucket of ocean water on my face… made me laugh. I think I won the upper hand as I took my shoes off, took a quick look over the 15 drop off the dock, and threw myself in fully clothed! It was frigid yet fun.
Last year on my birthday I made a list of 24 things to accomplish during the year until my next birthday. Here’s what I’ve done…
1.See a dolphin in its natural habitat
- Although I did not see this I have seen a number of exotic animals in their natural habitats, including Elephants, Rhinos, Giraffes, Water Buffalo, Impala, Monkeys, Snakes (yuck), Hippos, Cheetahs. I also saw lions, and got to pet a year-old Lion and play with baby lions, so no dolphin, but a few other creatures that took my breath away.
2. Do one thing everyday that scares me
(aka the Project that Redefined my Fears). This has been an interesting challenge and has made me aware that the types of things I’m afraid of have changed. I have grown in my ability (and willingness) to have difficult conversations with others, as well as my willingness to step out and take more risks even if that risk is as simple as dancing in front of a good friend, to jumping off docks into freezing cold water. It’s been fun.
3. Order extra side orders of toast when I go out for breakfast…mmm toast
4. Go to a movie in theatres by myself
: August – Paris Je T’aime, a great film that made me long to travel to Paris… encore.
5. Read The Count of Monte Cristo: the unabridged beast that it is (and finish it by April)
- This book was long, but worth the read, I hope and plan to read it again at some point in time.
6. Take a picture of a plant/tree that I’ve never seen before
- mangrove tree in South Africa
7. Go on wine tasting tour
- Stellenbosch, South Africa
8. Learn to be more relaxed- still not perfected the art of this, but I’m working on it, I think I’m more comfortable with who I am and I’m just more relaxed in general.
9. Do yoga at least once
- I did it with my friend who went to Yoga-Boot-camp, it was interesting and I can see how it could be a great routine, but I’m not committed yet.
10. Buy one CD a month
October- Chantel Kreviazuk
November –Sheree Plett
December – Jeremy Eisenhauer
January – Damien Rice
February – Lance Odegaard
March- LadySmith Black Mamboza
April- David Crowder Band
May- The Gladiator Soundtrack
June- K’Naan
July- Rufus Wainwright
August – John Butler Trio
September- Across the Universe
October – Damien Rice
11. Create something that’s never been created before
- I grew a vegetable garden at home this summer, one of my plants included over-sized zucchinis and many of them. I had to come up with some pretty creative ways in which to hide and feed all that zucchini to my family, but I succeeded.
12. Watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- I did this with my brother over Christmas.
13. Learn the words to three songs I love, instead of making them up as I go. The scientist by Coldplay, Crazy by Gnarles Barkley, and Indescribable by Chris Tomlin
14.Get a pedicure.
2 professional ones
15.Buy a 4 Liter container of Chocolate Milk and drink it all myself (pacing myself wisely of course): To be honest, I have no good reason why I did not do this… shoot. Maybe I’ll do it this weekend!
16.Learn how to swim lengths properly (flip turn optional). I’m more confident in this, yet I’m not sure I’m ready to sign up for a swim meet of any sort.
17.Take advantage of all-day breakfast establishments
- Done!
18.Go Bungee jumping off the world’s highest bungee jump (AHHHHHHHHH)… and what a thrill that was!
19.Learn to drive standard- South Africa was where I learned to drive standard, on the opposite side of the road, car and shifting with my left hand… this was also a thrill.
20.Wake up early enough to see 12 different sunrises
- In many different provinces, in many different seasons…. I love the way the world looks first thing in the morning.
21.Read a novel in French (children’s novel will suffice)… I began reading a book in the summer but never finished it… I will have to try again.
22.Keep asking questions – to be continued.
23.Paint one painting and give it away to someone who will appreciate it
- I drew a picture at a place called Siloam in Winnipeg, which is a shelter for homeless people and I sat down and chatted with an Aboriginal man for about an hour as he was painting, I worked on a drawing of a star and gave it to him as I was leaving. It was a very inspiring time.
24.Buy one newspaper and read every single word in it – okay to be honest, my friend told me to add this one… and I didn’t do it. I sat down and tried one time but the thought of reading every word in a newspaper makes my skin crawl. When I read the paper I skim it (at best). But I can say that I did successfully read one book/week all summer long, which was a goal of mine… I think it counts!
There you have it... one more year of life for me, and it was a great year all in all!
2 comments:
Happy Belated Birthday Dana! I love the list of goals, and how you've accomplished so many of them. Can't believe it's been a year already since you first posted them!!! Hope you had a marvelous day celebrating the wonderful person that you are!
Hey Dana = loved the list. Very cool.
Post a Comment