10.20.2007

a story about when I was a captain

Last week we stayed on house boats for the week on BC's beautiful Shuswap Lake. It was a really fun place to be as a group. We stayed on two different house boats and had our fair share of pirate and Titanic jokes, and I may or may not have done a dance on the upper deck with a mop in my hand while wearing a cheesy plastic hula skirt.. good times.
You may wonder who was driving the boat... well I'll tell you, I was. You may be wondering how it is that I know how to drive a boat... well the true story is that I don't. We received a fourty minute explanation on how the boats work, 15 minutes were devoted to both the engine and the generator, 15 to the control pannel with what seemed like 400 different buttons and lights to be pressed in exact and precise sequences, then the remaining ten minutes were devoted to learning how to start and drive the boats... that's all it takes folks fourty minutes and you too can be an official captian... oh boy.

Things went fine, until the last day on our way back to the dock when we ran out of gas and I had to sheepishly call in and ask for step-by-step instructions to assist me in completing an emergency fuel transfer. Nice work captain!
Anyways, it was a great week and I thouroughy enjoyed it. For three days afterwards I found myself walking with a bit of a stagger and I often felt as if the room I was sitting in was every so gently bobbing up and down.
And that is the story of the time when I was a captain.

No comments: