8.14.2006

dana's book list

Watch out Oprah, here comes my list, maybe I'll start a club someday soon... nah

1. One book that changed your life: The Bible, not the one they taught me at Sunday School either with the cute l'il sheep and the guys in bathrobes, but the one that calls me to live a life of meaning as a follower of Jesus in a world in need of his grace, humility, justice and love.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Different Dragons by Jean Little. It was my favourite book from our church library growing up and if you look in the back at the library card you'd see I signed it out on a regular basis.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell- man if that little girl could survive all by herself on an island so could I.

4. One book that made you laugh: The Secret Diaries of Adrien Mole by Sue Townsend. Thanks to my seventh grade teachers who read a book that was not only funny and entertaining but had no educational merit whatsoever. I have since become an fan of the one and only Adrian Mole, one of the most awkward human beings to ever trip his way across the face of the earth.
If you don't know him you should make an effort to get to!

5. One book that made you cry: The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams, such a sad tale.

6. One book you wish had been written: "Top 1000 books Dana Honderich Should read over the course of her lifetime" by Someone-who-reads-more-than-she-does-yet-has-really-great-taste-in-books. (For my real answer see number 10)

7. One book you wish had never been written: I Kissed Dating Goodbye... come on now, I understand the author found himself a soapbox, and then two years later had to wash his mouth out with that very same soap as his ate his own words...as he got married...but really now, did you have to go there? (For those of you who are unfamiliar with this book... don't worry about it I boldly say you're not missing much)

8. One book you’re currently reading: The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time by Jeffrey D. Sachs. AKA a current kick in the butt.


9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies by Naomi Klein

and
The In-between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (because Meghan told me to, and Meghan reads great books)

10. One book you’d like to write: The "How To" Book of How To Do Relationships without Reading Dumb "How To" Books. (I know it seems self-defeating but I feel that too many people turn to books to try to form and facilitate relationships. Let's be honest people are complex, messy and beautiful creatures on their own, and when you put them in the context of relationships it just magnifies the complexities, messiness but also the beauty... but can reading really help us out? Shouldn't we be talking to people who know us in the context of that relationship instead of reading a book by authors removed from and uncaring of our specific situation? (Don't steal my idea I intend to write this one, even though I don't intend to sell many copies)

I like books, and this was fun... what books are you reading right now that I shouldn't miss out on?

No comments: