4.01.2008

Kruger Park and 7 days until winter...

Kruger National Park, South Africa

I just spent a few days at Kruger Park, which is a huge Game Park in South Africa. We got to go on both a morning drive and a night drive in hopes of catching a glimpse of the BIG FIVE (elephant, leopard, rhino, water buffalo and lion). It was a big disappointing the first night as we drove around for three hours (I should mention this three hour drive came after an 8 hour bus trip to the park) and only saw a couple elephants, a snake (which I was too afraid to even lean over the safari jeep to look at), and about a hundred Impala, which are quite common to the park. This morning, however we had better sightings and were able to see many elephants, include a herd of twenty that crossed the road right in front of us, a huge giraffe, a water buck (which is sort of like a deer/antelope cross), a wide variety of birds and a hundred more Impala. It was quite a spectacular day, not to mention watching the sunrise over the African Savannah. I found it hard not to have the songs from the Lion King soundtrack running through my head subconsciously.

Today, also marked the last week point in our time here in South Africa. We head for the airport next Tuesday for the long journey back to Canada. At this point in time I'm just doing my best to soak in the moments, the people and the sun, as I know I will miss them all when it's over all too soon.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Great to hear about your adventures! Just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm checking your blog.