3.17.2008

two weeks in the same place???

Simons Town, South Africa

I woke up this bright sunny Monday morning to realize that this is the first time since September (with the exclusion of my 3 weeks spent at home over Christmas) that I have been in the same bed, same room, same place, same city for more than a week. Wow! It also makes sense why I am feeling a bit tired these days when I wake up. Living out of a backpack has taught me many things, and I will write a post about that when I have more room to sort out all I have learned (aka when my backpack is safely stowed at the back of my closet), and I have been incredibly thankful for this opportunity. But I am looking forward to being in one place for longer than two week stretches.

This week is our final week in Cape Town before we head back to Joburg. We will be doing all kinds of adventure this week, kickin' it off with a trip to Robben Island today (the prison where Nelson Mandela spent 18 of his 27 years in prison), then tomorrow the brave folks are going shark diving while I will be going to an art gallery. Weds we will hike Table Mountian, something I missed out on last year but am really looking forward to this time around, followed by a soccer game in the evening. Thursday we have a chance to pack our backpacks again and Friday we have 20+ hour bus ride from Cape Town back to Joburg... fun.

Next week we beging our debrief and reflections of this year, and I'm looking forward to that as it is always a rich process. Which also marks the final two weeks in South Africa... where has the time gone?

Well that's what's up with me these days. I'm going back to the same room right now to enjoy the feeling of familarity that one gets from the second week in the same place.

No comments: