Well I just got back from my first Japanese cooking class. It was part of a new "Creative Clusters" that is being started in my community to draw out the creativity in everyone. My friend Ken is currently in Japan and it was his mom Mariko that taught us a thing or two about sushi tonight (which to be honest I always thought referred to raw fish, but actually refers to the type of rice that is used!)
Tonight we built... or rather... made Sushi. It was quite the experience wrapping sticky rice onto a paper thin piece of seaweed, rolling to what you think might be a perfectly shaped roll, only to find out it's only half a roll and your rice is seeping out and the avocado you put in has left a mysterious and scandalous green stain on the rice...maybe it's a steep learning curve?!!! Oh I think we all had a good chuckle!
The best part was that we got to eat what we made!
It felt like craft class for grown ups.
I love learning about different cultures and practices and outlooks on food. What a great event.
So if you ever want sushi... I can give it a try*!
(*Customer Satisfaction cannot be guaranteed)
1 comment:
Hey Dana! It's so good to hear that you're pulling out your creative side. Japanese cooking eh? Hey, now you and Johnny have something else in common. you can make him sweet Japanese cuisine to bring him back to his homeland! Don't worry, the learning curve will flatten out eventually! I miss you tons,
Jenny
Post a Comment