6.11.2007

the day i met k'naan and torontophobia

Toronto, ON

I really enjoy being introduced to new artists of many sorts, musicians are right near the top of the list. With this in mind I was thrilled when my friend Jennie asked me if I wanted to go to a concert with her in Toronto last week.

The fact that it was free made it all the more exciting.
And so it is that last Thursday night I met K'naan. He's a hip hop/rap sort of guy, but not the average dude who screams hard-to-decipher-lyrics about women, money and drugs and the other things that seem to be inseparable from that particular genre of music, which I usually have a hard time tolerating let alone enjoying.



(This picture shows the proudly displayed Somalian Flag, likely his close friends out to support him. He entertains in a way that made me feel as though he's a good friend I've known for years, and would have no problem chatting with on the street.)



This kook kat comes out wearing his clothes he likely bought from Value Village with his trademark hat, and is sure to introduce himself as "K'naan from Somalia". He blew me away on many levels; the band stripped down to expose the sheer talent of these individuals, the lyrics raw as he retells the stories of his childhood in an African country torn by war, the current injustices in the world, and the hope he has for the future. I was challenged and inspired. He has a story to tell and he tells it well.







It was also a moving night as I got to visit my friend Jennie's dad in the hospital only a few short weeks after he received a double lung transplant... what a story that is!!!

And then for me personally I feel as though lately I have been warming up to the idea of south western Ontario being a place I'd feel good about planting myself in and even calling home. I spent the first eighteen years of my life here before I headed off on some serious globe trotting. I'll admit I was perhaps arrogant in leaving and felt like there were greener pastures to be explored. After having explored some other pastures (of varying shades of green) I can now say home has become one of my favourite places in the world.


After all the traveling I've done I figure I get over my fear of Toronto... I mean if I can travel in Rome, Paris, Cape Town... I have no reason not to dive into Toronto and uncover some gems.



A concert at Toronto's Harbour Front Centre was a reminder that there's lots to see and do here on the home front, I'm the one that just has to be willing to explore.

Perhaps a new goal for me this summer should be getting over my Toronto-phobia.

No comments: