11.29.2006

snowbound

Stillwood Camp, BC

My four years of arrogant claims that the lower mainland of BC never sees snow have come back to slap me in the face. It's snowed more in the past five days here than it has for the past hundred years (or so I hear, and I'm willing to believe it right now).
It's caused quite the commotion as of late, as the residents here are not used to the white stuff (an how would they be?)and thus the number of cars littering the ditches is far surpassing the number of Tim Horton's coffee cups doing the same. The fact that I live at the top of a mountain (which currently resembles what I imagine Narnia would look like) and it is both beautiful and troublesome.
It's beautiful because I can honestly say it's the first time I've ever walked through a forest in snow up to my knees and created a path as I walked along and all the tree branches seem to be bowing to the ground from the weight of the snow.
But then there's the practical side of all this beauty, the troublesome part, that's really annoying me right now. Earlier this week I got stranded over night at the bottom of this mountain when I, with 14 of my students, went to church (which by the way was cancelled due to the nasty weather, which should have sounded some alarms in my head... okay it did I chose to ignore them). Some 30 hours after we left for church we finally returned safely... it was a bit of an ordeal to say the least, but we were well taken care of and I really have nothing to complain about other than a slight change in plans. And now today when I'm planning to go back down the mountain to visit some good friends before I head east on the weekend (weather permitting), I find out there's supposed to be another storm moving in... I'm stuck on top of a beautiful mountain!!!
I realize my complaint is likely invalid and immature to anyone reading this, but I'm annoyed. And I don't even really have a point to prove, I just have a bad attitude and that's how I want this to end.

(Please feel free to laugh at me because I am well aware that I sound like I child right now and in fact I am laughing at myself too!!!)

No comments: