5.23.2006

lost in translation

I am learning a lot these days. About myself about the world around me, which is becoming increasingly smaller day after day and about how I interact with my surroundings. I´ll be the first to admit, I´m getting tired. This week marks the halfway point of my trip and I suddenly have a feeling of panic in my chest, as I will soon begin to count down the weeks and then day remaining rather than counting how long I have been gone. To be honest I think cities are wonderful, but i am tired and I grew up in the country and... well I think i´m about ready to head for some quiet, and a place that doesn´t require as much navigating day after day.

We are in Barcelona, Spain right now, home of the 1992 Summer Olympic Games. It´s hot hot hot and crowded, but really unique. One of my favourite aspects is the graffiti on the fronts of the buildings. To be honest it surprised me to find spray paint murals and scribbles on the walls and doorways of an otherwise gothic city. But it has become a comforting reminder that life goes on here and helps it to feel like a thriving city rather than a musuem town. We went out for Mexican food last night in the less-touristy area of town and it was nice to see people going about their regular daily business.

A big dissapointment for me has been the fact that despite being in Spain, Barcelona is not a Spanish speaking city. The region is actually called Catalan and they speak their own dialect, of which I cannot understand very much. I was really looking forward to speaking Spanish, but I guess it´s a nice break to not have to feel as though I´m the translator again.

I should head out though, internet cafes are not the best place to be on beautiful sunny days not matter what city or country one is in. Today´s plans include a tour of a cathedral, find a fruit market for lunch and then head to the Picasso musuem for the remainder of the afternoon. This evening we´ll celebrate my sister´s last night with us before she heads back to Scotland.... should be a great day.
Happy trails to you all, where ever you find yourself.

3 comments:

Michael LaRoy said...

I'll admit that I'm quite jealous; I wish I could be traveling right about now. It's pouring rain out here, and work sucks. Keep truckin'!

Dana L Penner said...

sorry to hear you´re stuck in the rain Mike... get away from the Wet Coast though.... just joking. I like travleling a lot, but I hate the stresses of it, like... the fact that the night train we intended to take tonight, may or may not actually exist... yikes! Ah well, all part of the fun!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»