For the first time in three months we have returned to a familiar place. We are staying at the same retreat centre we began our journey at three months ago, which in some ways feels like last week, yet in other ways feels like a lifetime ago. There’s something nice about finishing in a familiar place.
We are almost finished our “debrief” time. It’s been a time of reflection and sharing, and granted many glimpses into the ways that lives have been changed by the goodness, love and grace of Jesus. Some stories reflect months of doubt, confusion, reflections and thought that has produced change, while others share of moments of epiphany when something becomes so clear it tugs on someone’s heart in a way that yields and evident change. All in all I feel pretty lucky to be a part of this process, and hearing how the work and life I’ve been involved with has played a role, be it ever so small, in the change in other people’s lives. It makes me wonder how few people in this world of ours receive glimpses into the ways their life’s work, and life itself has impacted others. It also makes me realise I need to do a better job encouraging my parents, pastors, mentors and friends as they contribute to who I am and who I am becoming.
There is power in belonging, and that’s one thing I’ve experienced that has impacted me in a significant way this year. There’s an African concept of Ubuntu, which means “I am because I belong”… and that’s one thing I have definitely felt this year. Here are some of the people that make me feel as though I belong.
Here is our whole group from earlier today
and here are three of my favouite people on earth, my co-leaders who have stood by me through so much this year! (L-R Johnny, Jason, (me) and Anita)
I guess this is it from me from this continent... next time I write I'll be back on Canadian soil in Winnipeg for our grad. Thanks for following as I travel, stay tuned if you're interested in more stories and photos as I slow down for long enough to begin to process them myself!
Love
Dana
No comments:
Post a Comment