3.13.2007

5...4...3..2...1... Bungy!!!

Blaukrans Bridge, South Africa

March 1, 2007 marked the end of the most terrifying 6 months of my life as I looked forward (with much fear and trembling) to somehow shutting off my brain long enough to throw myself off a bridge (which I believe no sane person ought to do) all in the name of adventure...
if pictures are worth thousands of words... here are a couple thousand to bring you up to speed (with some commentary for additional explanation/impact).


Here she is... the bridge... the tallest bridge in Africa... 216 meters (or 700ish feet)! Did I mention I'm terrified of driving/walking across bridges, let alone jumping of them?


... me attempting to enter a state of complete mental oblivion (aka preparing for my own self-inflicted death).

too close to the edge to turn back now... (my strategy was to not look down so for the two hours I spent dancing on the bridge before my name was called I managed to keep my chin up, literally, so as not to look down, so these two men actually had to lift me into the right spot! Good thing too because had I seen this shot I likely wouldn't have done it!

This is the point when everyone I knew (all 35 of us) on the bridge began chanting my name and yelled "5...4...3...2...1...Bungy" at which point I jumped and then upon realizing I was in midair, falling very very very quickly I decided I was just joking and I didn't want to be in the air any longer... nope take me back up to the bridge please???!!! But yet I continued to fall...

then I decided it was fun!

BAAAH!!! I did it! World's Highest Bungy Jump!!!
Would I do it again?... Heck Yes!
Same time, same place next year.
And Mom and Dad don't worry I won't make a habit of it!

9 comments:

Bid said...

Hey there psycho. There's no way I would ever do that. I was also looking at some of your other pictures. Yep - I'm pretty sure you have this magnetic pull toward heights. :)

Anonymous said...

you were definetly the most calm and collected of all of us! Way to go! Just another part of this (crazy) magic carpet ride!

Anonymous said...

that was me.
anita

Anonymous said...

Dana...amazing pictures! I am so proud of you - seriously:)
I miss miss miss you...thanks for sharing what's going on with you over there.
Love ya:)
Karen.

Sandra Plett said...

Oh my freaking goodness that looks scary! I love the photos (whoever took them...well done!). I felt like I was right there with you. Well done!

Anonymous said...

holy cow Dana, i dont think i could ever do that. How are you doing, i havent seen you in years

kristy

Anonymous said...

weird, my address didnt show..
http://krichert.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I hate heights too but still have a crazy desire to bungy jump one day

Anonymous said...

dana, this kills me. I LOVE the "then I decided it was fun" part. hahahaha! you're great. I get so excited just seeing the pictures (and full of jealous wrath, of course)!!

Meg (pierce)