5.19.2007

some reflections

Looking at my blog makes me realize I'm doing a terrible job with it lately. Having bought a journal earlier this month, I suppose I've resorted mostly to it as the pages are filling up quickly. I guess I'm just taking time to figure out how I'm thinking and what I'm feeling inside.

I had the chance to share about my time in South Africa at my home church last Sunday. It was a great opportunity to help me think about my time there, and also great to be able to tell people my stories. Here is an excerpt I shared last week which was actually part of my year-end testimony in South Africa with our group.

The past seven months have been filled with many moments that have made me feel alive. Skiing through the fresh snow in Banff as the sun shines down on me, or the smell of the ocean from a beautiful vantage point on the Indian Ocean.
Watching the sun rise across the vast expanse of the Canadian prairies, or experiencing a new love for the Rockies as many experienced them for the first time.
Holding my breath as a herd of elephants cross the road in front of us, or standing amazed as a zebra gallops across the trail I’m running on.
The kinds of conversations that make me think about life.
The card games, the humour and obscurities that remind me I often take life too seriously, highlighting that it is too short not to enjoy.
The one cup of filtered coffee after entirely too many instant coffees.
Learning to ask better questions, and tell better stories.
The unsettled feeling that comes from the safety and convenience of a mall which is a literal stone’s throw away from yet another informal settlement.
The looks in the eyes of people who have come to expect to be abused by people with the same colour of skin I possess, yet still hope that I can somehow make life better for them because of that same skin colour.
The attitude buried deep down within me of entitlement and rights, that needs to be dissolved with the grace and love of Jesus.

No comments: